Friday, July 8, 2011

Senior Games.

During June I volunteered to help out the the Summer National Senior Games. It is the largest multi-sport event in the world for men and women 50 years of age and older. The event was held over 15 days in June and there were approximately 800 events in 19 sports. I helped out at the Archery and the 5 and 10K road race. I must admit that I was surprised to find that I thoroughly enjoyed what I was doing and I would volunteer again in a heart beat. There were 90+ year olds competeing in the events and it was an inspiration to all that watched and helped. People who say they can't take part in sporting activities really mean that they won't take part in sporting activities, all they have to do is look to our seniors to realise that there is no such word as can't. So here are a couple of photos to illustrate this point.


This photo shows the start of the 10K road race and you couldn't have wished for a more hotly contested race at any age.


It was a very hot day in Houston, well it is summer and with temperatures soaring into the low 100s the competition was on.


There really was no upper age limit for taking part in the races, even if there wasn't a chance of winning the race they could win in their age grouping.

I think our Seniors put a lot of younger people to shame they really do have a can do attitude that I admire so much. There is a good old Kiwi saying that goes "good on ya mate".


No comments:

Post a Comment