Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Washington DC.

This month, July, I visited Washington DC with my DH, he was there on business so I tagged along for the 3 day trip and let me tell you that in the 3 days I only managed to scratch only a very small surface of the city. My first impression of Washington is that it's a very grown up city, the buildings are just amazing. I did a quick round of the usual tourist attractions because we only had a very brief time there and you can't say you've been to DC unless you've seen XY or Z sights.
I started the first day at the Memorial Holocaust Museum. I'm not going to say too much about this apart from that not only is it difficult to comprehend how a human being could do that to another but how it happened on such a large scale and how the people who perpetrated these crimes against humanity could possibly think that what they were doing was the correct and moral thing to do is totally beyond me. In fact it just dumbfounds me.

Day 2 started with a visit to the Smithsonian Museums, well the National Gallery of Art, the National Museum of Natural History and the National Gallery of Art sculpture Garden. Of course I didn't do a comprehensive tour of the Museums because there just wasn't enough time, so I looked at my favorite parts of the Museums. Such as the Chester Dale Collection and the Sculptures and of course the "rock" collection at the Nat Hist Museum including touching a piece of Mars and looking at the Hope Diamond.

Day 3 saw me visiting the National Museum of the American Indian, they had the best laid out Museum of the lot but not a lot of content on the inside however the grounds made up for that because they were stunning. Then in the afternoon we went to the WWII Memorial, the Lincoln Memorial, the reflecting pool, Capitol Hill and the White House both of these we viewed from the outside of course. On the evening of day 3 we went to see Wicked which was on at the Kennedy Center for Performing Arts and all I can say about that is wowser if you haven't seen it get along there tout suite because it's truly rawsome. 

Here are some photos of my adventures...

The Holocaust Museum

The back of the White House

Capitol Hill

This is a sculpture of a Red Horse!

A cute Weta

Touching Mars

I loved this rock

and this one, the Hope Diamond

 blanket design from the American Indian Museum

WWII memorial

Washington Monument

DH at the WWII memorial

the Lincoln Memorial

the empty reflecting pools

the Jefferson Memorial

And to finish today's blog here is a scrapbook page about a 5K run me and the DH participated in on the 4th of July 2011.


Keep Well x 

No comments:

Post a Comment